Blog Archive

20 June 2007

This has been an interesting week here in Tuk. There were three big meetings that I had the opportunity to sit in on. The meetings on Monday and Tuesday evenings were AGMs for community and regional organizations that manage the Inuvialuit land claim settlements. I sat quietly in the back as they discussed finances, projects, etc. This afternoon (Wednesday) there is another big meeting because the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Review Panel is in town to do another (and probably final) round of community consultations. At the meeting last night, they were saying that think that it is only a 50/50 chance that the pipeline will actually be built. A year ago, they thought that it was going to be much more probable but some events over the last few months have grinded developments to a halt again. Most people in Tuk are in favour of the pipeline because it will bring jobs and business opportunities for people who live here.

I was slightly uncomfortable at the meetings since I stuck out like a sore thumb and most people don't know who I am yet, but it was really good that I was there. I am somewhat shy in those types of situations so I hardly met anyone on Monday. But on Tuesday I met some more people since I was becoming a more familiar face and people are curious about who I am – I imagine that that trend will continue as people realize that I am sticking around for more than a couple of days. Tomorrow is Aboriginal Day, which means a holiday for everyone in town. There is going to be a bbq and some games in the evening.

No comments: