Blog Archive

11 June 2007

final post from Inuvik

Here’s another series of pictures for your enjoyment. This first picture was taken looking out one of the front windows of the house that I have been staying in (the blurry spot is the remnants of tape that was stuck on the window). The blue bin is a bear-proof box for garbage. The blue and yellow row houses in the background are similar to the one that I am in.

While on a walk down by the river the other day I took the next two pictures. You may have noticed that in town there aren’t too many tall trees, but there are trees surrounding the town. I estimate that most don’t grow over 20 feet. There are some that get close to 30 feet but they are the odd ones that stand out.











In the (nearly) two weeks that I have been in Inuvik I have seen the buds on the trees come out and now the trees all around the town are full of little green leaves. The blast of warm weather that we have had since last weekend seems to have pushed spring forward. I haven’t seen too many mosquitoes yet. I am not sure if it is because I haven’t really left the town limits or if it is because they aren’t out in full force yet. If they aren’t in full force yet, it will only be a matter of time – and then the black flies won’t be far behind. I am itching a mosquito bite at the moment. I can’t wait for the full onslaught…

The next time that you hear from me I will be in Tuk. I leave tomorrow morning and it is only a half-hour flight.

No comments: